Thursday, May 21, 2009

He just wanted to be wrapped...

A little while ago I wrote a post about the trails that this little man and I were sharing in relation to his sleep. Soon after that post I went to visit family with the kids and welcomed with open arms the break form trying to work out his sleep. When I got home I had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach whenever I thought about getting his sleep back on track (what do I mean back...it was never on track to start with). I even put it off for another week with the excuse that he was sick.
Finally I worked up the emotional muscle to start and it was the same as before; crying, standing up in the cot, not letting me pat him. I called my sister, Vienna, as a distraction. It was the one of best phone calls I have ever made (big call, I know). Vienna has two children, a girl and a boy like me but hers are ten months older so she has become one of my parenting gurus (for lack of a better word). I seek advice and pass stuff by her all the time and I am sure Eden is sick of me saying "Vienna says...," or "Vienna did..." Anyway she had sleep issues with her oldest and when my niece, Adalia, was 8 months old Vienna packed them both off to sleep school for a week. Adalia had never been wrapped but the nurses at sleep school 'suggested' that she wrap her. Vienna thought it helped with Adalia so she suggested this to me and even though I stopped wrapping Lachie months ago, I thought I would give it ago as he is about the same age as Adalia was when she started being wrapped and it is not like it could have made matters worse. So after an hour of crying I grabbed a cot sheet and wrapped him tightly, put him back in his cot and walked out the door holding my breath. Five cries later and he was asleep, I could not believe it. Next sleep and the same thing happened, I wrapped him, a few soft cries and he dozed off. It was like a miracle. Since then we have had one sleep through and one two hour nap. He still wakes up a few times through the night and most naps are around forty minutes to an hour but it is still so much better then it was. I feel like I have got a little bit of 'me' back all thanks to a cot sheet and him just wanting to be wrapped.
(Also thanks to every one who left encouraging comments when I first posted about our battle with Lachie's sleep xxx).

5 Comments:

At May 21, 2009 at 11:16 PM , Blogger make it perfect said...

wow! i would never have thought to go back to wrapping an older baby.

sooo glad it worked for you though. that is fantastic, fingers crossed he settles into a much better routine now.

you must have felt like a million dollars when he slept through that one night - there is light at the end of the tunnel when they do that for the first time, you know they can do it again!

hang in there...this is getting so long i should have just written you an email...

xxx

 
At May 22, 2009 at 9:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yipee!! Go Lachie :) I laughed about your sister being your guru, my SIL's call me to ask baby advice because I have the older kids but boy....like I know anything?!
So glad things are going well....wrapping is the best, ours were wrapped so tight they looked like kebabs :P

 
At May 22, 2009 at 10:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy baby happy mum.
Love Lorraine.
xxx

 
At May 22, 2009 at 4:00 PM , Blogger The Kings said...

That is so good. I never would've thought about wrapping them once they were older either - especially if I had when they were tiny and then stopped it, but I'm so glad it worked for you!!! YAY!

 
At May 23, 2009 at 9:53 AM , Blogger Vienna and Ricky said...

Guru... LOL. I call you about Malachi, even if only to vent. He is a whole new puzzle I've read Toddler Taming cover to cover, twice. Would it be wrong if I wrapped him tightly all the day long? (: It works for sleep problems???

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home