Monday, July 20, 2009

And so she sews.

The other day Chloe saw me sewing up some knitting and asked if she could do some sewing as well, so I gave her her first sewing lesson. After raiding my sewing cupboard I found the necessary equipment - an embroidery hop, a piece of hessian, some cotton knitting yarn and a large blunt needle (the ones used to sew up knitting). All over sized for regular sewing but perfect for a tiny two year old.
I doubled the yarn up and knotted the end (to save constant requests to rethread) and she was off. I didn't really need to show her what to do and was impressed at how she managed to keep her thread untangled.
Every time she got to the end of her yarn I would 'unsew' it for her and then she would sit happily doing her sewing. She loved it and was very proud of her accomplishments (though I don't know who was prouder).

6 Comments:

At July 20, 2009 at 9:30 PM , Blogger The Kings said...

Oh that is soooo cool!!! I hope you frame that one :)

 
At July 21, 2009 at 8:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a clever bear!! It's clear to see your creativity has rubbed off on her already :)

 
At July 21, 2009 at 2:16 PM , Blogger Vienna and Ricky said...

What a fun and productive activity... I bet it kept her busy for a while too. Win win I say. Give her more colors next time and if you don't un-thread it you should frame it. And just think in no time you can have her sewing her own clothing and maybe even a dress or two for you. (:

 
At July 21, 2009 at 4:59 PM , Blogger Jony and Scarlett said...

You are both very clever... Thank you for the bibs, they are lovely!

 
At July 22, 2009 at 7:54 AM , Blogger Stephen and Val Tolputt said...

It is lovely to see the difference between Chloe's up and at it side and this side of patience and persistence. Thankyou for sharing. Love you all. Pa xox

 
At July 23, 2009 at 10:28 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

How cute is she?? Nothing like starting her off early to learn to sew. Next thing she will want a little sewing machine!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home