Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Munchy goo

I have wanted to do a story time experience for the kids based around the book Wombat Stew by Marcia Vaughan but the kids beat me to it and decided to do storytime on their own. Wombat stew is a favorite in our home (as I am sure it is in many others) with Chloe requesting that we read it with her often. Yesterday when Eden took the kids outside for a play Chloe and Lachie decided that they wanted to make some of their own Wombat stew, Wombat stew, Gooey, brewy, Yummy, chewy, Wombat stew!
Chloe had filled a bucket up with mud which she announced was her bubbling billy of Munchy Goo. Together she and Lachie had a wonderful time putting more mud in, taking it out and then putting it back in again.
I have been a bit slow to introduce Lachie to the gumboot as I wasn't sure how he would go with stiff big boy shoes but he had no problems walking in them at all. He loved them and was quite pleased with the stomp, stomp, stomp noise he could make as he walked. However I think the fact that we let him splash through the puddles to his hearts content was what he loved best. I think he may have even liked that more then the munchy goo.
So while the Wombat Stew Storytime did not contain the activity that I had been planning and happened in the reverse order (we read the book, again, after a warm bath) I think it turned out better as it was child initiated and directed.

3 Comments:

At September 9, 2009 at 4:06 PM , Blogger Jony and Scarlett said...

I love it, I'm sure the kids had a ball. By the look of Lachy's boots, I think you need to get him some of those fisherman overalls...

 
At September 9, 2009 at 6:54 PM , Blogger The Kings said...

Oh what fun! I bet they loved it. Have a great time in the big smoke.

 
At September 15, 2009 at 9:40 PM , Blogger Nettie's Blog said...

Wombat Stew ..ehhh... must make a trip to the library and check that book out ...you really make it sound like a great have to read...i am sure the grnadkids would like it too...Thanks

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home